Friday 9 August 2013

Congratulations, Alex!

Master of Commerce

9 August 2013 at 05:11
Four and a half years have passed since my first scholarship interview with the Rotary Club of Charleston. I would like to again extend the greatest debt of gratitude to you and to the Rotary Foundation. To the mostly honorable members of New Dawn, you truly made me feel at home from that first breakfast back in January of 2011. You took me to bike and boat races, to the mountains, to fancy dinners, and your collective wisdom and the opinions you shared were invaluable to my education.

I spent thirty-three weeks on west side of Wits through the most challenging academic year of my life. My classmates brought out my A game me on even the most miserable exams. I still have no idea what Zimper and Malikane were talking about. I'm a better person for both.

My advisor Professor Garzarelli saw me through three complete rewrites of my research report over six months while on sabbatical in Italy. I am very proud of my final mark and you--more than anyone else--helped me make this degree a reality.

The hoodlums at Love & Revolution probably didn't do much to help me through school, but I don't think that I will regret one second of the millions I spent in your company. The Summer Fun Club of 2011 was undoubtedly the most fun summer club ever. Who really cares about grade point average anyway? You guys rock.

To the Saints boys, about eight of my top ten worst adult hangovers came as a direct result of nights on the town with you. I still owe you several hundred drinks, which are waiting at a bar near me.

Mom and Dad, you supported me all the way. You never tried to talk me out of this, and like the Federal Reserve, served as guarantor of last resort in times of crisis. I will remember our trip to the Cape for the rest of my life.

And finally, the Vinks. You gave me a tall wall to hide behind, a bed, home cooked dinners and great wine. You took me on family trips and let me drive all of your cars even though I'm not a very good driver. I can only hope that if somebody I love gets dropped into a strange land, they too will find the likes of you.

I'm just going to hang this thing on my refrigerator until I figure out what to do with it.

Cheers

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.